The year 1998 marked the 50th anniversary of the moment when Jacek Miklaszewski, the CEO of Spółdzielnia Transportowa in Kraków established a vocal ensemble, which soon after was turned into a 14-person choir. Its first performance was held in November 1948.
In 1950, the mixed band was converted into a male choir, which operated until 1983. From that moment on and until now, the choir has been mixed-gender again. In 1953, the ensemble was covered by the patronage of Centrala Spółdzielni Transportowych in Warsaw, after which it determined its articles of association and rules and regulations, and assumed the name Hejnał.
The choir obtained membership in the Union of Polish Singing and Instrumental Groups. Thus, the ensemble began its official activity as an amateur vocal group, which it continues to this day. In the period of 52 years, it performed about 700 concerts, both in the country and abroad – in Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, GDR, FRG and the Netherlands.
The group's repertoire includes compositions of the most outstanding Polish composers, such as: S.Moniuszko, J.Maklakiewicz, and foreign ones – L.van Bethoven, F.Schubert, J.Brahms, J. Strauss, G.Verdi, W.A.Mozart and many others. In those years, the ensemble was managed by 11 conductors. The achievements of Hejnał choir were brought about by its founder, long-standing artistic director and conductor – Jacek Miklaszewski in the years 1948-1974, and Professor Władysław Kotschy – a conductor and artistic director in the years 1974-1976, 1980-1983. In 1992 he returned to work with Hejnał and in 1998, on the 50th anniversary of its establishment, we also celebrated the 60th anniversary of his artistic and educational activity.
Translation: Summa Linguae