City Defence Walls – branch of the Historical Museum of the City of Kraków
City Defense Walls, with three medieval towers (traditionally defended by the guilds of woodworkers, carpenters and haberdashers), St. Florian's Gate and the Barbican, form an invaluable complex − a relic of the old Krakow's defense system, with a special tourist route.
The first information about the Krakow's defensive system comes from the times of reign of Leszek the Black (1279-1288). Only 200 meters long fragment of medieval baileys including the Floriańska Gate and adjoining three towers that used to surround Krakow have survived:From the Szpitalna Street – the Passementiers' Tower (haberdasher - craftsmen making belts), the Joiners' Tower (also called Rope-makers' Tower) and in the nearby of the Sławkowska Street – the Carpenters' Tower. All the towers were set on the stone bays and in 15th century built on with bricks. In the higher storeys, cross sections of the Passementiers' and the Joiners' Towers are in the form of semicircle and are surmounted with murder-holes and semi cone-shaped roofs. Hexagonal brick part of the Carpenters' Tower has been covered with pyramidal roof. The purpose of this tower was to protect a municipal arsenal and the Piarists Church in the nearby.