Skałka Church

Address:
ul. Skałeczna 15, Kraków

Description

The Skałka Church is probably the third church in a row that was erected on this site.

The first one was a Romanesque rotunda, rebuilt in the 14th century in the Gothic style by King Casimir III the Great and destroyed in mid-17th century by the Swedish Deluge. The present church (erected in the years 1740-1762), with a monumental double stairway leading inside, was built by a Warsaw architect, Antoni Solari.

The church is connected to the monastery of the Pauline Order, brought to Kraków by the historian Jan Długosz. Inside, the altarpiece of St. Stanislaus Chapel features a tree-trunk, onto which the bishop's blood dripped upon his death. The wall of the chapel contains a glass oculus with the remains of the stone steps of the altar on which the enraged king killed the martyr.

At the end of the 19th century, a crypt was arranged under the church, according to the design of the doyen of Kraków architects, Teofil Żebrowski, destined for the Poles who contributed to the development of the Polish national culture. Thus, the Sepulcrum Patriae was created. Near Skałka, we can admire a well-preserved 14th century defensive wall of the old town of Kazimierz, made of broken lime stone.

Source: krakow.travel

Translation: Summa Linguae

Date: 2013-06-17 Show ticket
News author: Weronika Dulowska
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites