Greek Catholic Orthodox Church (St. Norbert's Church)

Address:
ul. Wiślna 11, Kraków

The construction of the church began in 1636 and lasted until 1643. It was initiated by Dorota Kątska, the abbess of the Norbertines from Zwierzyniec. Located in Zwierzyniec, on the outskirts of the city, her convent and church turned out to be defenceless against the siege conducted by Maximilian III of Austria and were almost completely burnt down and destroyed. This is why the abbess decided to fund a convent within the city walls so that the sisters could take refuge in case of another war.

The Norbertines stayed in the convent until 1803, when the Austrian authorities discontinued the convent on Wiślna Street. Some of its buildings were taken over by the Jagiellonian University. The church was taken over by a Greek Catholic parish. Unfortunately, it was burnt in a fire in 1850, which is why its current furnishings come from the 19th century.

It has a groin vault based on arches and an iconostasis with paintings based on Jan Matejko's drawings. In 1949, the church was overtaken by the Missionaries of Our Lady of La Salette, who have been using it to this day along with Greek Catholics (since 1998).

Date: 2013-06-07 Show ticket
News author: Weronika Dulowska
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites

What? Where? When?