St. Anne's Church

Address:
ul. Świętej Anny 11, 30-962 Kraków
Telephone:

The current church is a third one built on these premises. The first wooden church was erected in the 14th century. It used to stand in the centre of the Jewish district, neighbouring a synagogue and a mikvah (ritual bath). It was burnt down in 1407 during anti-Jewish riots. The church was rebuilt as a brick structure by King Władysław Jagiełło, who then gave it to the Kraków Academy. The subsequent church built in the same spot has retained its academic status to this day.

In the 17th century, the university's professors, supported by its graduate, Jan III Sobieski, decided to erect a new church which would be more impressive and more in line with the style of the epoch. The building was raised between 1689 and 1703 based on the design of architect Tylman of Gameren, as one of the most beutiful Baroque structures in Poland, modelled after the Roman church of San Andrea della Valle.

 

Translation: Summa Linguae

Date: 2016-05-05 Show ticket
News author: Karol Róg
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites

What? Where? When?