Vistula Boulevards

Address:
Bulwar Kurlandzki, Kraków

They were designed by Roman Ingarden and built on both sides of the Vistula in the years 1907-1913. Their primary purpose was to serve Kraków and Podgórze as paved embankment, but they were also an element of a planned Danube-Dniester channel (works on the channel were disrupted by war and the discontinuity of the Habsburg rule).

The walls of the boulevards (inner lower and outer higher) contained hard roads and railway tracks, connected by 6-metre wide access ramps. Stairs were built for pedestrians. The boulevards obtained their promenade-like character later on, although adaptation works began already during World War II.

 

Translation: Summa Linguae

Date: 2016-03-28 Show ticket
News author: Karol Róg
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites