Nowy Square

Address:
Plac Nowy, Kraków

About

From the end of the 16th century until the 19th century, the area of today's Nowy Square was a part of a Jewish town called Libuszhof.

This initially neglected and chaotically developed set of streets was arranged in order based on a regulation plan from the first half of the 19th century, and the square laid out in this spot was called Nowy ("new") already before 1878. Currently, the buildings of the frontage around the square were mostly shaped in the years 1870-1923.


However, the most characteristic feature of the square is the okrąglak, erected in the years 1899-1900 as an enclosed market hall. In 1927, the Jewish community adapted its part to serve as a ritual poultry slaughterhouse, which was closed down during the occupation. After World War II, typical small-scale trade returned to okrąglak.

Starting in the 1990s, the square – similarly to the whole Kazimierz – changed its image radically. Many cosy cafés and pubs whose décor referred to the ambience of the old Kazimierz were created on ground floors of the houses. In the west frontage of the square, the former prayer house, later converted to a carpenter's shop, was refurbished and adapted to the needs of the Center for Jewish Culture. Antique fairs are organised each Saturday and second-hand clothes market – every Sunday.


Translation: Summa Linguae

Date: 2016-02-18 Show ticket
News author: MARCIN DROBISZ
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites