All Saints’ Square (Plac Wszystkich Świętych)

Address:
Plac Wszystkich Świętych, Kraków

The square occupies the space between Franciscan Church and Grodzka Street. Before the reception of urban charter by the city in 1257, it belonged to a trade settlement along with the adjoining Dominikański Square. The current shape of the square was achieved in the 19th century, after pulling down All Saints' Church (erected in the 13th century). Its model stands at the square, reminding the visitors of how it used look and commemorating the place where it stood. Somewhat out of the way, there is Wielkopolski Palace, which has been serving as the seat of the city authorities since 1864. In 2007, the modern conference-and-expo architecture of Wyspiański Pavilion (designed by Krzysztof Ingarden) complemented the space of the square. It contains the Tourist Information Point. The green area before the main entrance to the municipality features a statue of the 19th-century mayor of Kraków, Mikołaj Zyblikiewicz. Erected in 1887 on a whim of an influential member of the parliament from Kraków, it was removed in 1953, but it was preserved and unveiled once again in 1985. In 1938, at a small square in front of Franciscan Church nearby, one of the most outstanding statues in the city was erected, depicting the first mayor of Kraków from the period of Galician Autonomy, Józef Dietl, wearing a robe and holding a rectorial sceptre. The monument was made by a great master of Polish sculpture, Xawery Dunikowski.
Date: 2013-06-07 Show ticket
News author: Weronika Dulowska
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites