- Jewish Krakow
- Jewish Krakow
- Nazi occupation: beginning of the terror
- Ghetto 1941-1943
- History of Krakow’s Jews until 1939
- Camp in Płaszów
- Resistance movement and aid
- Modern Jewish life in Krakow
- Schedule of events 2013
- 70th Anniversary of the Liquidation of Krakow Ghetto
- Tadeusz Pankiewicz’s Pharmacy in Krakow Ghetto
- Tourist routes
- Jewish culture route
- The walk along the Kazimierz District
- Photo galleries
- Kazimierz in the old photos
- The magic of Kazimierz District
- See also...
- Commemorating the Ghetto
- Mike Steiman – a friend of the Jewish Culture Festival
- Janusz Makuch – Director of the Jewish Culture Festival
- PDF publications
Until the end of the 18th century, the hospital of the Jewish community in Kazimierz was located by Nowy Square. In 1822, it was transferred to a one-storey building at 8 Skawińska Street. In the years 1833 and 1838, the hospital was enlarged, obtaining room for 40 sufferers and accommodation for the landlord.
Until 1831, the head physician of the hospital was Doctor Julian Sawiczewski, followed by Henryk Saul Rosenzweig (1794-1853), who came from Kraków and received his medical education in Berlin. Later on, the function of the head physician was taken by Doctor Józef Oettinger (1818-95), a graduate of the Jagiellonian University Medical College. Dr. Oettinger was also the initiator of the construction of the hospital's new edifice. Designed by Antoni Stacherski, the building was raised between 1861 and 1866 in the garden of the former hospital.
Before World War I, the hospital had several wards and specialised outpatient units. In the interwar period, further wards and outpatient units were added, furnished with state-of-the-art medical equipment. In October 1941, the hospital was transferred to a ghetto in Podgórze. The Germans turned the abandoned building on Skawińska Street into a furniture store. Since the end of World War II, the hospital building at 8 Skawińska Street, has been used by the Polish health service. It houses: the Institute of Internal Medicine of the Medical College in Kraków, an outpatient clinic of Gabriel Narutowicz Hospital, a tuberculosis outpatient clinic of Dr. Anka Tuberculosis Hospital and the district healthcare centre.
Translation: Summa Linguae SA