- Jewish Krakow
- Jewish Krakow
- Nazi occupation: beginning of the terror
- Ghetto 1941-1943
- History of Krakow’s Jews until 1939
- Camp in Płaszów
- Resistance movement and aid
- Modern Jewish life in Krakow
- Schedule of events 2013
- 70th Anniversary of the Liquidation of Krakow Ghetto
- Tadeusz Pankiewicz’s Pharmacy in Krakow Ghetto
- Tourist routes
- Jewish culture route
- The walk along the Kazimierz District
- Photo galleries
- Kazimierz in the old photos
- The magic of Kazimierz District
- See also...
- Commemorating the Ghetto
- Mike Steiman – a friend of the Jewish Culture Festival
- Janusz Makuch – Director of the Jewish Culture Festival
- PDF publications
The High Synagogue was built as the third synagogue in the Jewish town of Kazimierz, after the Old Synagogue and the Remuh Synagogue. It was erected after 1556, but no later than 1563. The name of the synagogue comes from the fact that its prayer hall was located on the first floor of the building.
This atypical placement of the prayer house was a result of security concerns: the synagogue stood next to a gate to the Jewish town, which was a particularly crowded place, full of street noise and in very close proximity to Christian buildings at the time. The eastern section of the building probably contained shops from the very beginning of the synagogue's existence. At the end of the 1880s, men's and women's prayer sections were created on the first floor of a building adjoining the synagogue from the west, and added to the temple. The fate of the synagogue during World War II and in its aftermath was not documented. Undoubtedly, the building's interior underwent degradation and the furnishings, including valuable ceremonial objects, were scattered around.
Since 1966, the facility was used by the Polish Studios for Conservation of Cultural Property. The Jewish Religious Community in Kraków, which is in the course of recovering its rights to the building, is contemplating handing over the synagogue to the Historical Museum of Kraków, to arrange an exhibition dedicated to the history of Kraków Jews. Inside, only some fragments of the former décor remained: stone framing of the Torah ark on the eastern wall and remains of murals with the text of prayers, unveiled and preserved in the 1960s.
Translation: Summa Linguae SA