- Jewish Krakow
- Jewish Krakow
- Nazi occupation: beginning of the terror
- Ghetto 1941-1943
- History of Krakow’s Jews until 1939
- Camp in Płaszów
- Resistance movement and aid
- Modern Jewish life in Krakow
- Schedule of events 2013
- 70th Anniversary of the Liquidation of Krakow Ghetto
- Tadeusz Pankiewicz’s Pharmacy in Krakow Ghetto
- Tourist routes
- Jewish culture route
- The walk along the Kazimierz District
- Photo galleries
- Kazimierz in the old photos
- The magic of Kazimierz District
- See also...
- Commemorating the Ghetto
- Mike Steiman – a friend of the Jewish Culture Festival
- Janusz Makuch – Director of the Jewish Culture Festival
- PDF publications
The building used to house a 16th-century communal and ritual bathhouse, called mikvah. The great bath, as it was called (as opposed to the little bath, which was located near today's Nowy Square), was heated at least once every fortnight and additionally every Friday. In 1806, it was leased by Jekele Felczer, a well-known doctor, from the Jewish community for 831 Polish zloty a year, and sold tickets to the bathhouse for 3 groszy a piece.
The mikvah was accessed after descending around 40 steps, as this was the depth of the water source. "It used to be cased with wood, but now the walls of the shaft are made of cement and the stairs are made of stone. Nevertheless, it reminds us of mediaeval mikvahs of the old German communities in Worms, Friedberg and so on." (Bałaban, Przewodnik, p. 66). The building was repeatedly rebuilt, so that in the interwar period the Jewish historian already noted (with a dose of regret) that the monument had been destroyed due to disrespect for the past.
After yet another complete modernisation in the years 1974-1976, the building was adapted for the purposes of the Kraków branch of the Polish Studios for Conservation of Cultural Property. In the 90s, it was legally recovered by the Jewish Religious Community in Kraków. Currently, it houses a café and restaurant called Austeria. The relics of the mikvah are preserved in the underground. The mikvah which is used today is located in the vicinity of Postępowa Synagogue at 24 Miodowa Street.