The Cloth Hall

Rynek Główny 1/3, Kraków

The origins of the Cloth Hall go back to the 13th century, but at that time it was just two rows of stalls selling textiles. In the times of Casimir the Great, a108-metre long gothic hall was built, which was destroyed during a. re in 1555. The Cloth Hall was reconstructed as an impressive building (the stairs and loggia were designed by J. M. Padovano), crowned with a Renaissance attic adorned with mascarons. The Cloth Hall took on its final shape in the 19th century when it was rebuilt in accordance with T.Prylinski's design. It was then that the familiar neo-Gothic arcades were added. Continuing acenturies-old tradition, trade still flourishes in the stylish stalls of the Cloth Hall. Merchant and guild emblems may be seen on the walls, along with the armorial bearings of Polish cities. The upper floor houses the Gallery of 19th Century Polish Art in the Sukiennice, where one can admire famous works by P. Michałowski, H. Siemiradzki (Nero's Torches), J. Matejko (The Prussian Homage), (Kosciuszko in The Battle of Racławice) and W. Podkowinski (The Frezny), as well as canvasses by A. Grottger, A. Gierymski, J. Chełmonski and J. Malczewski.

Date: 2013-06-06 Show ticket
News author: Weronika Dulowska
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites

What? Where? When?