The Main Market Square

Address:
Rynek Główny, Kraków

It is the largest medieval square in Europe. Measuring approximately 200 metres by 200 metres, it was laid out when the city received its charter in 1257. Unlike the Cloth Hall, he Town Hall and the town houses that border the square, the churches of St Maryand St Adalbert were built before the charter and so are not aligned with the sides of the Main Market Square. The vital addition to the square is the monument of Adam Mickiewicz, designed in 1898 by Teodor Rygier. Looking at the restored colourful townhouses and mansions surrounding the square it is hard to believe that they are 500-600 years old. The Grey House (Szara Kamienica) at no. 6 deserves a closer look. Legend has it that it was donated by King Casimir the Great to his mistress, Sarah. The Pod Krzysztofory Palace at no. 35 is noteworthy as kings John Casimir, Michał Korybut Wisniowiecki and Duke Józef Poniatowski all stayed there at one time or other, and from it there is a wonderful panorama of the Main Market Square with St Mary's Church, the Town Hall Tower, Adam Mickiewicz's monument and the Cloth Hall. The Pod Baranami Palace (Rams' Palace) at no. 27 is the home of a popular cabaret. House No. 15 is renowned for its restaurant, Wierzynek, whose traditions go back to a famous feast held at the house in 1364. In September 2010 under the Main Market Square, the biggest European underground museum, with around 4,000m², containing a modern multimedia exhibition entitled 'Following the traces of Krakow's European identity' and a tourist route situated 4metres below ground, was finally opened.

Date: 2013-06-06 Show ticket
News author: Weronika Dulowska
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites

What? Where? When?