Jewish Academic House

Address:
ul. Przemyska 3, Kraków

This house was built in the years 1924-26 upon the initiative of the Kraków branch of the Bnei Brit – Solidarity Association and the 'Bonfire' Association of the Jagiellonian University Students. The funds for the construction of the house came from the University and contributions from the Kraków Jews. The building was designed by architect Adolf Siódmak, and the interior decoration is the work of architect Tobiasz Wexner who also directed the construction works.
The Jewish Academic House became an important centre of social and cultural life of the Jewish community in Kraków. In the 1930s its representative room frequently held the presentations of works of the members of the Association of Jewish Painters and Sculptors: Artur Markowicz, Abraham Neuman, Szymon Müller, Wilhelm Grünberg, Leon Lewkowicz, Antoni Soldinger, Jakub Glasner, Henryk Hochman and others.
In October 1939 in the academic house deserted by students the Germans set up a brothel for the troops.
Today, similarly to the past, the building performs the function of the academic dormitory.

Date: 2013-06-20 Show ticket
News author: Weronika Dulowska
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites

What? Where? When?