Isaac Synagogue

Address:
ul. Kupa 16, Kraków

The Synagogue of Isaac son of Jacob was founded by Izaak Jakubowicz (Ajzyk Jekeles), an elder of the Kazimierz Kahal, in the 1530s. The construction was completed in the 1540s to produce not only the largest of the Kazimierz synagogues but also the most lavishly furnished. The spacious interior is decorated with stucco and polychrome decorations under a vaulted ceiling. It incorporates a high hall for men and a women’s section connected to the main hall through semi-circular arcades. The external staircase leading to the women’s section received its contemporary guise in 1924.

The large square fronting the synagogue used to be a fish market until the Second World War: a frequently photographed, characteristic element in the townscape of the Jewish district. After the war, the building long remained derelict, and only after a thorough renovation early in the 1990s was the synagogue made available to visitors. It had concerts and educational meetings organised within. In recent years it has returned to religious functions, and has a kosher shop operating in one of its auxiliary rooms.

Date: 2013-06-20 Show ticket
News author: Weronika Dulowska
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites

What? Where? When?