The Building of the Kraków Jewish Community

Address:
ul. Krakowska 41, Kraków

Until the end of the 19th century, the Kehila, that is the authorities of the Jewish community, had its headquarters by the Old Synagogue (Alte Shul). In 1911, an elegant new building was erected for the authorities on the corner of Krakowska and Skawińska streets.

The first floor was taken by offices, and the second by the imposing Assembly Hall and archives. They boasted an especially valuable illuminated Hebrew Bible from the 14th century. Confiscated, it found its way to Germany and finally reached Israel.

The Judaic library Ezra, incorporated by Zionist activists in 1899, was relocated to the ground floor. Its book collection was dispersed during the Second World War.

Today, the building still remains home to the authorities of the Jewish community in Kraków, and incorporates a canteen with kosher meals.

Date: 2013-06-20 Show ticket
News author: Weronika Dulowska
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites

What? Where? When?