St Anne’s Church

Address:
ul. Świętej Anny 11, 31-008 Kraków

It is the University church; the first, wooden one was built at this location in the 14th century, and the following masonry Gothic one was a foundation of King Ladislaus (Władysław) Jagiełło. After the demolition of the Gothic structure, the current one was built at the expense of the Kraków (today’s Jagiellonian) University in 17th/18th century to the design of Tylman of Gameren.

It is one of the most beautiful Baroque structures in Poland, modelled on the basilicas of Rome. The façade is flanked by towers terminating in tall spires. The interior is lavishly decorated with late Baroque architectural detail, sculptures, and paintings. The high altar is adorned by a painting of The Virgin and Child with Saint Anne, with the figures of St Stanislaus and St Adalbert, patrons of Poland, on the sides.

Also worth a look is the Altar of St John Cantius (John of Kęty), the patron saint of the Jagiellonian University, designed by Baltazar (Baldassare) Fontana, who modelled it on St Peter’s Baldachin in the Vatican. It is surrounded by a wealth of ex-votos, including the Turkish tugh banners in the Siege of Vienna by King John III Sobieski in 1683.

Date: 2017-05-19 Show ticket
News author: MARCIN DROBISZ
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites

What? Where? When?