Church of the Transfiguration of Christ and the Piarist Monastery

Address:
ul. Pijarska 4, 31-015 Kraków

Situated in Pijarska street, it encloses św. Jana Street from the north. The Piarists arrived in Kraków in the 1660s and their church was raised in the 1720s to the design of a famous contemporary architect, Kacper Bażanka. The characteristic façade with a light and slender gable with an ave-bell was added in mid-18th century, and is fronted by two symmetrical flights of stairs with an entrance to the crypt in between. The interior of the church is late Baroque, from the first half of the 18th century.

The urn with the heart of Father Stanisław Konarski in the chancel was brought to Kraków in 1882. The crypt in turn has been the backdrop for exhibitions and patriotic events, and the starting place of funerals of Kraków celebrities, including Stanisław Wyspiański in 1907.

Adjacent to the church is the monastic complex with the building of the Piarist College standing to the west and the former Collegium Novum (the so-called Klasztorek) to the east. In 1876, Klasztorek was purchased by Prince Władysław Czartoryski, who rebuilt it in the Neo-Gothic style, and adjusted it to the needs of the Princes Czartoryski Museum together with the adjacent buildings.

Date: 2017-05-19 Show ticket
News author: MARCIN DROBISZ
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites

What? Where? When?