Church of St Andrew and the Convent of the Poor Clares

Address:
ul. Grodzka 56, 31-044 Kraków

This fortified Romanesque church is one of the oldest structures in Kraków. Built of stone late in the 11th century, it was remodelled early in the 13th. It consists of three aisles, and a Gothic brick oratory (currently the sacristy) and two towers by its western façade were added. The 17th-century towers received Baroque spires, and in the 18th century the interior was also thoroughly remodelled in the Baroque style. Inside, the eye is drawn to the black marble altar with a painting of the Blessed Salomea and the boat-shaped pulpit for the preacher.

Adjacent to the church is the Convent of the Poor Clares funded by King Ladislaus the Elbow-High (Władysław Łokietek) built around 1325 and extended in the 17th century and again in the 1840s. The convent treasures among others 14-century nativity scene figures, and relics and objects connected to the Blessed Salomea who brought the order to Poland in 1245.

Date: 2017-05-19 Show ticket
News author: MARCIN DROBISZ
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites

What? Where? When?