Museum of Municipal Engineering in Krakow
Moreover, the collection of the museum includes an impressive number of cars and motorcycles produced in Poland. The museum also conducts activities for the education of children and young people in the scope of history of science, technology and industry.
The exhibitions are presented inside the halls of an old tramway depot in Kazimierz: in a horse-pulled tram hall from 1882, narrow-gauge electric tram hall dated at 1900 and a normal-gauge electric tram hall from 1913.
The first halls of the depot were built on Św. Wawrzyńca Street in the 1880s as back-up facilities for a horsecar, including a coach house, stables for the animals and a forging shop. Systematically expanded and adjusted to the needs of modernised rolling stock, the depot served as a back-up facility for the municipal public transport for over one hundred years. The works were conducted under the direction of well-known architects, such as Zygmunt Hendel and Tadeusz Stryjeński, hence the modernist origin of some of the buildings. Today, the set of depot buildings, entered into the A-680 register of objects of cultural heritage, is one of very few postindustrial structures in Kraków, adapted to meet cultural requirements, a practice not uncommon in the world.
Translation: Summa Linguae