Geological Museum of the Institute of Geological Sciences of the Polish Academy of Sciences

Address:
ul. Senacka 2, 31-002 Kraków

Description

The collection of the Geological Museum of the Institute of Geological Sciences, Polish Academy of Sciences has been gathered since 1865, first by the Physiography Committee established by the Kraków Scientific Society and then by the Geological Division of the Academy of Learning, and since 1921 by the Scientific Museum of the Polish Academy of Arts and Sciences.

After establishing the Polish Academy of Sciences in 1954, part of the collection was transported to the Geology and Stratigraphy Workshop, in which the present museum originated.

Currently, the Geological Museum is in possession of items belonging to several areas of geology: palaeontology, palaeobotany, mineralogy and lithology, and the collection is still growing. The museum makes its collection available for study and popularisation purposes.

It has a permanent exhibition called Geological structure of the Kraków area, created to suit the needs of people with various levels of geological knowledge. Visitors to the museum will find general information about the geology of the Kraków area as well as some detailed descriptions concerning the most important rocks and their origins, fossils, tectonics, land relief, karst and the history of how we got to know the geological structure of the Kraków area.

The museum organises classes and carries out theme shows.

Translation: Summa Linguae

Date: 2013-07-15 Show ticket
News author: KATARZYNA CZUBERNAT
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites