Municipal Gasworks

Address:
ul. Gazowa 12-16, Kraków

About

It was built between 1856 and 1857 by engineer Sezig for the German Continental Gas Company.

It produced ammonia as well as coal and water gas; it had its own water inlet, a water tower and a siding operated by Grzegórzki train station. Initially, it generated gas only for the purposes of city lights. The first lamps flashed in the Main Market Square on the 22nd December 1857 and then they were gradually turned on in the Old Town, on Lubicz Street, Kazimierz and Stradom.

The gas started to be used for cooking and heating much later. It ceased to be generated in 1968. What remained of the old gasworks are administrative buildings, a residential building with a garden, an old meeting room for employees, a laboratory, a so-called new boiler house and a water gas plant.

Source: krakow.travel

Translation: Summa Linguae

Date: 2013-06-07 Show ticket
News author: Weronika Dulowska
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites

What? Where? When?