Józefińska Street and the most important buildings of the Kraków ghetto

Address:
ul. Józefińska, Kraków

Józefińska Street is one of the oldest and major arteries of the initial urban layout of Podgórze. The most valuable buildings are concentrated along the initial stretch of the street, near Brodzińskiego Street. They include classicist houses no. 2 and 4 (Zajazd Pod Lwem inn) and a late-classicist house (no. 10-12) from the 1830s. The Art Noveau building no. 18 used to contain the savings bank. It retained the rich décor of the façade and the interior.

In the years 1941-1943, Józefińska Street belonged to the ghetto which was created in the area by the Nazis. At that time, a number of facilities which were significant to the everyday life of the Jewish quarter were located on the street. Some of them were:

No. 10-12 – seat of the employment office (Arbeitsamt), which kept a register of people appointed to forced labour and compiled lists of people destined for transportation.

No. 14 – former seat of the Polish police and the tax office. In 1941, it contained the Jewish Hospital, which was moved from Skawińska Street. During the ghetto's elimination (13th-14th March 1943), all patients of the hospital and the personnel were shot down in its courtyard.

No. 31 and No. 41 (currently nonexistent) – subsequent seats of an orphanage. The facility's end was truly tragic: during one of the displacements, in October 1942, its children were sent to death camps together with the orphanage's director, Anna Feuerstein, and Dawid Kurzmann. After closing down the orphanage, a children's home was established at no. 41 for the children of working parents. Its small residents were executed during the elimination of the ghetto.

 

Translation: Summa Linguae

Date: 2013-06-07 Show ticket
News author: Weronika Dulowska
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites