Bohaterów Getta Square

Address:
Plac Bohaterów Getta, Kraków

The square was laid down around 1838 as a complementary market square of Podgórze, whose purpose probably involved commerce. Initially, it was nameless and only in the 1880s did it start to be referred to as Little Market Square. After Podgórze's annexation to Kraków in 1915, it was called Zgody Square (as there was already a Little Market Square in Kraków).

During World War II the square became the focal point of the ghetto. The only pharmacy in the ghetto operated at no. 18 and was run by Tadeusz Pankiewicz, the only Pole in the ghetto, who risked his own life to help its residents. He was also a witness to a tragedy that unfolded when the Jewish quarter was closed down on the 13th and 14th March 1943.

After the war, the square was given its present name. Unfortunately, its function underwent decay: the pharmacy was closed down in 1967 and was replaced by a pub. In the 70s, an inconvenient bus station was built in the square.

 

Translation: Summa Linguae

Date: 2016-03-28 Show ticket
News author: Karol Róg
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites