St. Joseph's Church

Address:
ul. Zamoyskiego 2, Kraków

This small church, built in 1832, with a short and awkwardly formed tower, probably initiated the urban layout of the Podgórze market square.

The first church was pulled down and in the years 1905-1909 a new basilica with one nave and two aisles was built, according to Jan Sas-Zubrzycki's design. This richly – for some downright overwhelmingly richly – adorned church is a tribute to neo-Gothicism. The mysterious inscription on its façade, Sustine (Latin for "be in pain", "atone") is an emblem that labelled Zubrzycki's project when it was entered into the competition. Beside the church (2 Zamoyskiego Street) is a classicist inn from the end of the 18th century, converted into a vicarage.

Date: 2016-04-27 Show ticket
News author: Karol Róg
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites