Nowa Huta Cross

Address:
ul. Ludźmierska 2, Kraków

Description

Nowa Huta, the first perfectly socialist town in Poland, was supposed to remain atheist. However, during the 1956 Polish Thaw, the communist authorities allowed the church's construction. After less than two years, when the building works began, the permit was withdrawn and it was decided that a school would be built in place of the church.

Nowa Huta, the first perfectly socialist town in Poland, was supposed to remain atheist. However, during the 1956 Polish Thaw, the communist authorities allowed the church's construction. After less than two years, when the building works began, the permit was withdrawn and it was decided that a school would be built in place of the church.

In order to remove the cross that stood on the side where the church was supposed to be erected, the authorities, fearful of riots, engaged Special Forces and armoured cars from the whole southern Poland. The fear turned out to be justified, as the protest that followed on the 27th April 1960 turned into a regular battle with the militia and the ZOMO, in which over 4000 people defended the cross. After days of struggle the cross remained in its place. The Church of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus with its interesting open-work tower was finally built in the years 1998-2002.

Translation: Summa Linguae SA

Date: 2013-06-07 Show ticket
News author: Weronika Dulowska
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites