Steelworks Administrative Centre

Address:
ul. Ujastek 1, Kraków

Description

The Administrative Centre of the former Lenin Steelworks is one of the best examples of socialist realism in Poland. Its construction was implemented in the years 1952-1955 based on a design by Janusz Ballenstedt, Janusz Ingarden and Marta Ingarden. Although the solutions applied in the construction originated in the 20th century, they refer to the Renaissance, and not accidentally so.

The manor itself has a long history and is lucky to have had outstanding residents. The first of those was Hugo Kołłątaj, a political activist from the Enlightenment, co-originator of the first constitution in Europe. He became the owner of Krzesławice as the chancellor of the Kraków Academy, to which the village belonged at that time. He surrounded the manor with an extensive park. The second outstanding resident was Jan Matejko, considered by many as the greatest Polish painter of the 19th century. He purchased the estate in 1876 for the money he obtained by selling a painting called Stephen Báthory at Pskov. From then on, Krzesławiec was his favourite place to rest. Since 1960, the manor has been the property of the Kraków Society of Friends of Fine Arts, which converted it into a museum. It contains Matejko's paintings, including Fellowship of the kings and princes of Poland, and some mementos such as the artist's easels, painting chests and objects of evey day use. One of the halls is devoted to Kołłątaj.

Translation: Summa Linguae SA

Date: 2013-06-07 Show ticket
News author: Weronika Dulowska
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites