New Jewish Cemetery

Address:
ul. Miodowa 55, Kraków

About

After the annexation of Kazimierz district to Kraków in 1800, the Austrian authorities had the old Jewish cemetery on Szeroka Street closed down.

A similar order was given in Kraków, where all churchyards located close to compact residential developments were closed down.

The efforts of the Jewish community to obtain a lot for a new cemetery were soon finalised. In the 19th century, the cemetery tripled in size, and the last enlargement took place in 1899. At the turn of the 20th century the cemetery already spread over 20 ha. 

In the 1920s, the commune faced the need to build a new cemetery. It was opened in 1932 on Jerozolimska Street, near a previously founded cemetery of the Jewish community in Podgórze. The cemetery at Miodowa Street still carried out burials, but only on previously purchased plots and in family tombs.

After World War II, during which the Germans closed down the cemetery on Jerozolimska Street, all burials were confined to Miodowa Street. To this day, up to several dozen burials are performed each year. Currently, the surface of the cemetery is 19 ha with ca. 10 thousand tombstones (dating from 1809 onwards). It is the final resting place of the most outstanding Jews of Kraków from the 19th century to the present day. The most famous people to have been buried here are: Maurycy Gottlieb, a painter (1879) and Kraków's deputy mayor, Józef Sary (1929).


Translation: Summa Linguae

Date: 2016-02-18 Show ticket
News author: MARCIN DROBISZ
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites