Kupa Synagogue

Address:
ul. Miodowa 27, Kraków

About

The construction of the Kupa Synagogue, not very impressive on the outside, was finished in the 1640s.

The name of the temple comes from Hebrew. Kupa is the fund of the quahal, a Jewish community, which allowed the construction of the synagogue. Added to the defensive walls (partly preserved and seen from a yard on Warschauera Street) in the north, it was the last synagogue to have been built in the times of the Jewish town in Kazimierz.

Since it was combined with an asylum, it was also called the synagogue of the poor. The present appearance of the temple is a result of a reconstruction that took place in the 1830s, when the wooden vaulting was replaced by a flat wooden ceiling with a women's gallery underneath. The later transformations deprived the building of its Baroque elements and the damage made by the Nazis irrevocably destroyed its liturgical character.

The only remainder of the construction is a stone altar – Aron Kodesh – between pilasters. In the years 1951-1991, the building was used by pursemakers from Spółdzielnia Inwalidów. After reclaiming the synagogue, the refurbishment carried out by the Jewish Religious Community lasted until 2002. The renovation involved the impressive polychromy of the ceiling from the 1920s, depicting landscapes of the cities of the Holy Land, and wall paintings that adorn the gallery with zodiac signs.


Translation: Summa Linguae

Date: 2016-02-18 Show ticket
News author: MARCIN DROBISZ
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites