Wolf Popper Synagogue

Address:
ul. Szeroka 16, Kraków

Description

Funded in 1620 by Wolf Popper, a financial tycoon on the European scale, it was supposedly the richest synagogue in town.

Popper reputedly used to stand on one leg while meditating, which is why people dubbed him the Stork. Refurbished in the 19th and 20th centuries and renovated in 1964 after World War II, currently it has no distinct traces from past centuries. It is best visible from Dajwór Street. Today it houses a gallery of the Old Town Youth Cultural Centre.


Translation: Summa Linguae

Date: 2016-02-18 Show ticket
News author: MARCIN DROBISZ
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites