Deanery

Address:
ul. Kanonicza 21, Kraków

The house at 21 Kanonicza Street is the former residence of the deans (superiors) of the chapter, which is a college of clerics called canons of the Wawel Cathedral. Excellently preserved, it is one of the most beautiful historical houses in Kraków. The former Gothic house from the 14th century was thoroughly transformed between 1582 and 1592 (according to Santi Gucci's design) into a magnificent Mannerist residence. It draws attention with its late-Reneissance portal with an inscription that says: procul este, profani (keep far away, you profane ones) and a shield with the coat of arms of the settlement of Leszczyce. The arched hallway leads to a quadrilateral courtyard, surrounded with arcade cloisters on the ground and first floor. The centre of the courtyard features a slightly later Baroque statue of St. Stanislaus. The preserved elements include the original masonry of the windows and portals (15th-17th centuries) as well as polychromy in the interior and painted beams of the ceiling on the first floor. Soon after World War II the sgraffito façade was renovated. Between 1958 and 1964, the building was inhabited by the contemporary suffragan (subordinate bishop) of the Kraków diocese, Karol Wojtyła, who later became Pope John Paul II. Since 1994, the house is the seat of the Archdiocesan Museum. Its exponents include a simply arranged papal room and a painting of St. Charles Borromeo, which used to decorate the Holy Father's private apartment and was donated by Cardinal Stanisław Dziwisz in 2005.
Date: 2013-06-07 Show ticket
News author: Weronika Dulowska
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites