Wielopolski Palace

Address:
Plac Wszystkich Świętych 3.04.2016, Kraków

The palace was erected in the first half of the 16th century by hetman Jan Tarnowski, who wanted it to be a stately, Renaissance residence. What remained of that building are windows with characteristic mullions and stone frames as well as a crenelated attic. Its next reconstruction (carried out sometime in mid-17th century) was commissioned by the new owners of the palace, the Wielkopolski family. The remains of that period are such elements as an impressive hallway and stairs to the first floor as well as portals and vaulting. The palace belonged to the family until the tragic city fire of 1850. After an improvised refurbishment of the cindered interior, the building housed an elegant café and a ball room. In 1864, the palace was bought out by the commune to serve as the seat of the municipality. On the second floor, in place of the ball room, a magnificent meeting room was arranged, designed by Filip Pokutyński. At the beginning of the 20th century, as a result of a significant expansion of the city in line with the idea of the Great Kraków, there was a need to radically rebuild and expand the municipality, which was complete in 1913 (design: Jan Rzymkowski). That period saw an addition of two new wings on Poselska Street. The stately interior was decorated in the spirit of historicism and Vienna Secession, with the use of folk art motifs. In 1926, the main meeting room was consumed by fire, but it was solicitously renovated within a dozen or so years, preserving the previous forms, which were additionally enriched with the popular Art Deco elements of the time.
Date: 2013-06-07 Show ticket
News author: Weronika Dulowska
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites