Floriańska Street

Address:
ul. Floriańska, Kraków

Floriańska Street has always been one of the most important streets in Kraków. Drawn up during the reception of the city charter by Kraków in the second half of the 13th century, Floriańska Street constitutes a significant section of a historical track called the Royal Route, which leads from St. Florian's Church (hence the name of the street) all the way to Wawel Castle. As one of the first streets in the city, it received a sturdy pavement. At the end of the 15th century, most of the houses on Floriańska Street were already made of brick. Although the majority of those houses were rebuilt (especially at the turn of the 20th century), many of them retained a number of elements that testify to their old, often mediaeval origins. The most notable are: no. 3 with an interesting Renaissance portal, no. 5 and no. 8 with late-Gothic portals, no. 7 with an early-Renaissance statue of Virgin Mary and portals of the same style, no. 9 and no. 26 with Renaissance portals, as well as no. 17 whose façade features remains of a chain which was used to close the street at night. No. 14 houses the Pod Różą hotel, the oldest hotel in the city, established in 1800, initially under the name de Russie to commemorate the visit of Grand Duke Konstantin and Tsar Alexander I of Russia. The hotel also accommodated Franz Liszt during his stay in Kraków. However, it is not true that Honoré de Balzac stayed in the hotel, as we learn from a plaque on the outside wall. Instead, the great French writer stayed in one of the cheaper inns in Stradom. The building that houses the hotel comes from the 14th century and has undergone numerous reconstructions. The façade is decorated with a rare late-Renaissance portal with a beautiful Latin inscription, which expresses hope that the construction would stand until the whole seawater is drunk by a single ant and the whole earth is traversed by a single tortoise. The narrow town house at no. 41 is the former house of Jan Matejko (1837-1893), which was a witness both to his birth and his death. Today, it is a museum devoted to the life and work of this most excellent Polish historical painter. Here, we can see his personal memorabilia, documents, photographs, goldsmith's products from the artist's collection, as well as numerous paintings, drawings and a collection of military items. A special showpiece is a set of executioner's tools, obtained from the town hall dungeon. The building's façade, designed by Tomasz Pryliński, is the earliest manifestation of the rather rare neo-Baroque architecture (1873). The house at no. 25 includes the Museum of Pharmacy managed by the Jagiellonian University, which is the largest museum of this type in Poland and one of the largest in the world. Established in 1946 by a lawyer and collector, Stanisław Proń, who came from a family of Kraków pharmacists, it contains showpieces from 1200 pharmacies throughout Poland. The exhibition halls recreate historical interiors of pharmacies from the turn of the 17th century as well as Empire, Biedermeier, Neoclassical and neo-Baroque pharmacies. One of the halls has been allocated to recreate the office of the inventor of an oil lamp, Ignacy Łukasiewicz, with a collection of 19th-century lamps. No. 45 is inextricably linked with the person of Jan Michalik, a confectioner from Lviv, who opened his Cukiernia Lwowska confectionery in Kraków in 1895. Between 1905 and 1912, it was the venue where the first Polish literary cabaret, called Zielony Balonik, performed. It was established by Kraków artists and writers who created their works in the spirit of Young Poland (such as Tadeusz Boy-Żeleński, Jan August Kisielewski and Teofil Trzciński). Since the rooms had no windows, the artists dubbed the confectionery Jama Michalika (“Michalik's den”). The name stuck and is used to this day. The walls of the café feature murals designed by Karol Frycz as well as drawings and caricatures by Young Poland artists. The showcases display puppets from the cabaret's performances.
Date: 2013-06-06 Show ticket
News author: Weronika Dulowska
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites