New cemetery

Address:
ul. Miodowa 55, Kraków

Description

The cemetery known as "new" was established in 1800 and expanded in 1836 by an adjoining plot of land. Later on, it was expanded several times, but in the interwar period it ceased to be sufficient, and in 1926 the Jewish community purchased some land in the village of Wola Duchacka near Kraków and established another cemetery, which was consecrated on the 6th April 1932.

The cemetery known as "new" was established in 1800 and expanded in 1836 by an adjoining plot of land. Later on, it was expanded several times, but in the interwar period it ceased to be sufficient, and in 1926 the Jewish community purchased some land in the village of Wola Duchacka near Kraków and established another cemetery, which was consecrated on the 6th April 1932.

The cemetery was severely damaged during the German occupation of Kraków in the years 1939-1945. It was tidied up 12 years later. Due to the complete destruction of the cemetery in Wola Duchacka, the "new" cemetery is currently the only open Jewish cemetery in Kraków.

Date: 2013-01-31 Show ticket
News author: PAWEŁ KRAWCZYK
News Publisher: Redakcja MPI
Tags: city, tourism
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites

What? Where? When?