Building of the Jewish Religious Commune Board in Kraków

Address:
ul. Krakowska 41, Kraków

Till the end of the 19th century the Jewish commune authorities, that is, the qahal, had been based at the Old Synagogue. In 1911 the new representative building of the commune board was constructed at the corner of Krakowska and Skawińska Streets according to the design by Herman Lamensdorf. On the first floor of the building there was the board's office, and the second floor accommodated the representative session room and the archives. The rarity contained in these archives was the illuminated Hebrew Bible of the 14th century. Carried away to Germany, it finally reached Israel. On the ground floor there was the Ezra Judaic library set up in 1899 by a group of Zionist activists headed by Dr. Ozjasz Thon. During the Second World War the library's collection was scattered.

 

The Jewish commune board in Kraków is based here also today. It also houses a kitchen which offers kosher meals to the members of the community.

 

Date: 2013-01-31 Show ticket
News author: PAWEŁ KRAWCZYK
News Publisher: Redakcja MPI
Tags: city, tourism
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites

What? Where? When?