Jewish Theatre

Address:
ul. Bocheńska 7, Kraków

The permanent stage of the Jewish Theatre in Kraków was located at 7 Bocheńska Street, in a building erected in 1908 by Liebling and Oberleder. Its creation was mostly initiated by the activists of Kraków's General Jewish Labour Bund and the following Jewish theatre enthusiasts: Moses Kanfer, Abraham Seidenfeld, Fryderyk Freund, Maurycy Fiszer, as well as two Jewish poets: Mordechai Gebirtig and Ber Horowitz.

The stage was inaugurated on the 13th October 1926. The theatre on Bocheńska Street starred excellent actors and the best troupes of the time. The Vilnius troupe performed Ansky's The Dybbuk and Day and Night as well as Artsybashev's Jealousy. Other guests of the theatre were: the famous Ida Kamińska, the Turkows, Shimon Dzigan and Israel Schumacher. Moreover, the theatre had its own troupe, thanks to which it was able to entertain and touch the audience by drawing from the rich resources of Jewish literature. From 1945 to 1986 the theatre was managed by Teatr Kolejarza.

Translation: Summa Linguae SA

Date: 2013-01-31 Show ticket
News author: PAWEŁ KRAWCZYK
News Publisher: Redakcja MPI
Tags: city, tourism
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites

What? Where? When?