- Jewish Krakow
- Jewish Krakow
- Nazi occupation: beginning of the terror
- Ghetto 1941-1943
- History of Krakow’s Jews until 1939
- Camp in Płaszów
- Resistance movement and aid
- Modern Jewish life in Krakow
- Schedule of events 2013
- 70th Anniversary of the Liquidation of Krakow Ghetto
- Tadeusz Pankiewicz’s Pharmacy in Krakow Ghetto
- Tourist routes
- Jewish culture route
- The walk along the Kazimierz District
- Photo galleries
- Kazimierz in the old photos
- The magic of Kazimierz District
- See also...
- Commemorating the Ghetto
- Mike Steiman – a friend of the Jewish Culture Festival
- Janusz Makuch – Director of the Jewish Culture Festival
- PDF publications
The Corpus Christi Church
Corpus Christi Church is one of the city's most beautiful Gothic churches, located at number 25 Bożego Ciała Street). Its name refers to the history of a monstrance which had been stolen from All Saints' Church in Kraków. According to a legend, upon realising that the monstrance was not made of gold, the thieves dumped it on this very site.
The fortunate event led to the construction of this impressive building. The construction, commissioned by King Casimir III the Great in 1340, lasted until 1405, when the church and monastery were taken over by the Canons Regular of the Lateran, who had been brought from Kłodzko. The church's design and furnishings are definitely not worse than those of the famous St. Mary's Basilica. The Gothic walls are contrasted with gilded Baroqe altars adorning each pillar. The monumental high altar from the 1st half of the 17th century, magnificent carved stalls from 1632 and a Renaissance mausoleum of St. Jan Kazimierczyk with a painted door which tells a story about the miracles he performed – all that is very impressive.
The Renaissance frames of the wall altars in the aisles serve as mementos of Bartolommeo Berrecci, a valued architect who worked at the Wawel and was buried in the church in 1537. Behind the church are monastery buildings of the Canons Regular of the Lateran, an old monastery school and a garden with a 17th century gazebo. Traces of the openings through which meals used to be served to lepers constitute a certain curiosity.
Translation: Summa Linguae SA