Historical Museum of Kraków – Old Synagogue

Address:
ul. Szeroka 24, 31-053 Kraków
E-Mail:
starasynagoga@mhk.pl
WWW:
http://www.mhk.pl/oddzialy/stara_synagoga

Description

The oldest Kraków synagogue, probably built immediately after the forced exodus of Jews to Kazimierz. The initial, brick-and-stone building, added on the east side to the defensive walls, was burnt down in 1557.

The oldest Kraków synagogue, probably built immediately after the forced exodus of Jews to Kazimierz. The initial, brick-and-stone building, added on the east side to the defensive walls, was burnt down in 1557.

Thanks to a permit obtained from King Sigismund II Augustus, the community was soon able to rebuild the temple. After its reconstruction in 1570, a singer room was added (on the south side) along with a prayer section for women on the north side. In the next centuries, the synagogue was repeatedly destroyed by fires and robbery in the time of war. Although it was renovated each time, it still underwent gradual degradation. After the damage caused by the Nazis in World War II (even the Gothic vaulting and Renaissance pillars were destroyed), in the years 1956-1959 the building was renovated, which restored the synagogue's former glory. At the same time, the Congregation of Mosaic Denomination handed over the monument to the Historical Museum of Kraków for the purpose of arranging a permanent exhibition concerning the history and culture of Krakow Jews. The Old Synagogue has served this purpose to this day.

Translation: Summa Linguae SA

  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites

What? Where? When?