The Wawel Royal Castle

Address:
Zamek Wawel, Kraków

Wawel Castle, which was redesigned several times throughout the centuries, is a combination of the Gothic and the Renaissance styles. The royal residence was designed by such masters as Francesco of Florence and Bartolomeo Berrecci. When Berrecci had completed his work, he placed the following inscription over the entrance gate Si Deus nobiscum quis contra nos (If God is with us, who will be against us?) Four exhibitions are open to visitors – The Royal Chambers, the Royal Apartments, The Treasury and the Armoury, and the Orient in Wawel collections. One can also visit the towers. One of the. nest rooms in the castle is the Room of the Envoys, also known as "Under the Heads", as its coffered ceiling contains sculpted heads (16thc.). The largest is the Senators' Room (240 square meters) in which Senate meetings, court ceremonies and balls were held. It is also worth visiting the Royal Treasury (with the royal coronation sword Szczerbiec) and the Armoury which contains a rich collection of weapons. The jewels of Wawel are its Arras tapestries woven from wool, silk and metallic thread in Brussels workshops. They were commissioned by King Sigismund II Augustus (1520-1572). Some 136 tapestries out of 360 have survived in this collection, which is ranked among the largest in Europe.

Date: 2013-06-06 Show ticket
News author: Weronika Dulowska
News Publisher: Portal główny EN
  • Send to a friend
  • Add to favourites

What? Where? When?